Martin Stowe


Martin Stowe was born in Massachusetts in approximately 1831.  He served in the Civil War and achieved the rank of Captain prior to his discharge in late 1865.
 
He purchased 262 acres of land in Section 18 of Brandon Township in August, 1866.  This land is located on the southwest shore of Stowe Lake and encompased all of what is now Burros Lane and the Stowe Lake Waterfowl Reproduction Area.  He also purchased 120 acres in Section 17, part of which is located on the Paul Lehn farm.
 
Martin married a school teacher in the early 1870's and purchased a store in Chippewa, the original site of the village of Brandon.  He built a second store in Brandon when it moved to its present location.  That store was located on Front Street across from Grandma Patty's Cafe.
 
He was active in the community as a merchant and postmaster for a number of years.  He also served two years in the Minnesota House representing Douglas County and was a founder of the City of Brandon. 
 
Martin and his family moved to Hailey, Idaho in the early 1880s where he purchased the Merrimac mine near Ketchum, ID.  He died at Wood River, ID on June 6, 1891 from injuries received by being thrown from a horse.  He is buried in Hailey, ID.